Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkGhost in Your Walls?
Topic Rating:

Jump to
Members LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanHindiUrduFilipinoIndonesianArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
Ghost in Your Walls?

#1 by valerie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 09:24

I shared this on my Facebook and thought I would share with you:

A couple of informative things for you since I watched the movie last night 'War With Grandpa'. It made me think of Bob because when he built my house, he took a marker and wrote 'Bob and Val Together Til The End' on the studs (which of course is now behind the drywall). Also, when building the house, he left a hammer on the floor between some studs and after covered with drywall, he realized he left his best hammer. I remember asking 'what are you going to do, take the drywall down?'. He laughed and said 'No, the hammer will be there as a gift if ever the wall is removed in the future'. After Bob passed away, I sold the house and moved away. But some times I think about the words he wrote hiding behind the drywall and the hammer waiting to be discovered. (by the way, fun family movie in which grandpa Robert Deniro is a retired carpenter that always placed a picture of himself and his wife in the walls of houses he built) PS. So if you hear noises coming from your walls, it is probably not a ghost but a leftover tool or memory left by the carpenter that built your house.
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383
Likes Received19,617/8,277

#2 by tasman1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 13:33

Nice story Valerie

Some younger generation here will have a problem to understand story so I did some Google translate from old language to modern new language , so here it is

Google Translate

Ghost in Your Walls =Rats in Your Walls

Noises coming from your walls = Rats trying to get out to eat your cheese

Hammer waiting to be discovered = Rats waiting to be adopted as home pets
tasman1
Posts16,037
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,507
Likes Received15,874/8,264

#3 by valerie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 16:49

Ape's have their own language. :roll:
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383

#4 by Darkstar2 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 13:19

valerie wrote: I shared this on my Facebook and thought I would share with you:

A couple of informative things for you since I watched the movie last night 'War With Grandpa'. It made me think of Bob because when he built my house, he took a marker and wrote 'Bob and Val Together Til The End' on the studs (which of course is now behind the drywall).

Nice story, as I was reading at first I was saying to myself "who's Val"? and then a fraction of a second later, it clicked :P
It's not unusual for people to leave messages hidden, but hammers, NOW imagine had you stayed in the home and you started hearing hammering sounds behind the walls, Well I guess some lucky person one day will find a hammer behind the walls - :D

Quote:
Also, when building the house, he left a hammer on the floor between some studs and after covered with drywall, he realized he left his best hammer. I remember asking 'what are you going to do, take the drywall down?'. He laughed and said 'No, the hammer will be there as a gift if ever the wall is removed in the future'. After Bob passed away, I sold the house and moved away. But some times I think about the words he wrote hiding behind the drywall and the hammer waiting to be discovered. (by the way, fun family movie in which grandpa Robert Deniro is a retired carpenter that always placed a picture of himself and his wife in the walls of houses he built) PS. So if you hear noises coming from your walls, it is probably not a ghost but a leftover tool or memory left by the carpenter that built your house.

That's inspiring. I've heard true stories of buried treasures in old homes, some people found buried cases of money in the attic, walls, etc, there are documented stories like that.

As to hearing noises behind walls, well it would unlikely be a ghost, but if you hear noises behind walls you might have rodent infestations, carpenter ants (common places to be found), or termites :P
Darkstar2
Posts17,078
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given6,201
Likes Received12,379/6,602

#5 by valerie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 17:17

It's very common, at least in the USA, for carpenters to leave their mark behind the walls.
Usually it's just their initials or their name or some sort of quote. Some do leave something
on purpose.

You can some times find things in old houses or when remodeling a house in which a carpenter
left something, either on purpose or accident.
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383

#6 by tasman1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 17:25

valerie wrote: It's very common, at least in the USA, for carpenters to leave their mark behind the walls.
Usually it's just their initials or their name or some sort of quote. Some do leave something
on purpose.

You can some times find things in old houses or when remodeling a house in which a carpenter

Remodeled house only once some 25 years ago , all I did find was few rats skeletons and post ... We will be baaaaack

B.T.W. rats are not big in Australia , about size of dog Great Dane :mrgreen:
Last edited by tasman1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 17:50 » edited 1 time in total
tasman1
Posts16,037
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,507

#7 by Darkstar2 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 08:12

valerie wrote: It's very common, at least in the USA, for carpenters to leave their mark behind the walls.
on purpose.

....yep and if you are lucky, you can also find hidden defects left behind by old owners too, and now with exploding price of raw material, it will cost you an arm and a few legs - even if you do the repairs yourself, those 2x4's can cost you up to 300% more now :P Companies are going to cut corners now, you will see the quality of construction go down the toilet.

I have not found any notes yet, but I did find a whole bag of concrete in the attic :lol: I heard some couple found $150k stashed in a few shoe boxes in the ceiling, some people find hidden treasures in their backyard, old relics, money, etc........some people find the wrong kind of notes, like "(name) has died here" :P or "I'm watching you!" ...........
Darkstar2
Posts17,078
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given6,201

#8 by Darkstar2 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 08:15

tasman1 wrote:
on purpose.

Remodeled house only once some 25 years ago , all I did find was few rats skeletons and post ... We will be baaaaack

B.T.W. rats are not big in Australia , about size of dog Great Dane :mrgreen:

EVERYTHING is super size in Australia, spiders are the size of cars, no kidding, haven't you seen that video of those HUGE spiders clinging on window screens :P Some of the nastiest, most venomous spiders are found there, as far as skeleton of rats, that's not good Tasman1, how old is your home ? :P good thing you didn't find one of those monstrous spiders everybody is talking about.
Darkstar2
Posts17,078
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given6,201

#9 by valerie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:40

I guess I am fortunate because there are no rats or bugs in my house but I do spray
about three times a year inside and several times a year outside.

Real estate has increased here too. The reason why it has increased is because the
intrust rates have gone way down. Houses for the most part are sold very quickly.

I've been considering moving further South and into a smaller house or a condo.

The problem I find with condo's is many of the nice ones want to charge HO fees.
The fees are monthly and can be very extreme. I don't mind pay a monthly fee
if it is reasonable. However, many of them are over $500 a month and I wouldn't
pay that. Seems stupid. A lot depends on what is included in that fee but most
really don't include much of anything.

I am thinking of the future and it is mighty handy where I am. Still, my house is
truly too big for me. I don't need the space and as I age, I know things will become
too much for me to handle. So I am thinking of moving to Florida or the Carolinas.
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383

#10 by Darkstar2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 08:09

valerie wrote: I guess I am fortunate because there are no rats or bugs in my house but I do spray
about three times a year inside and several times a year outside.

Rats are not something you should find in your home ever, unless you live in a rats infested area or downtown :mrgreen: As far as bugs, well, they are common and everywhere, you just don't want them in your house, but sometimes bugs can hide behind walls or bed bugs :D or more commonly they crawl through cracks or openings and into your home. If you have a backyard you most certainly have bugs, it's a matter of keeping them in check and keeping your home clean. It's almost WASP season, in May they start to look for a nest :D so do the ants....oh yeah and let's not forget those spiders so big you wonder how could they possibly have entered the house, BUT spiders are a good thing, they actually eat all the bugs :lol: so you leave those alone, they work hard 24/7 for you.

Quote:
Real estate has increased here too. The reason why it has increased is because the
intrust rates have gone way down. Houses for the most part are sold very quickly.

It's complete madness - but it's not only interest, it's the HUGE demand vs. low inventory, it is definitely a seller's market, as there are far more buyers than homes available, so, as you know with offer and demand, the same principle applies, combined with low interests, people can jack up the value of their home 4x and they will get a buyer willing to spend 30%-100% above the value of the home even if it is run down..........I think this pandemic has done something to people's brain - and I think the shit will hit the fan very soon - is it smart for a buyer to spend $600k on a home that was worth only barely $300k a year ago, NO! It's probably the worst decision they have made in their life.......Because eventually as they move in and "snap out" of their madness, they will realise that the home is in need of repair and badly too, and with raw material and construction also going through the roof, they will find themselves paying $100k-$200k in repairs........eventually this real estate bubble will settle, it will have to, it's crazy, are old run down homes going to keep rising until it hits $1 million ? it's crazy, eventually it will settle, decline or the bubble will burst - so that $600k home now might "correct" down to $400k OR they will have a very hard time selling that. Imagine when interest rates go back up, buyers will then look for a bargain, and people who have ended up with over valued cardboard boxes will struggle to sell unless they spend a fortune on remodels........... Besides, how long of a mortgage will it take to pay those over valued homes, 50 years, 70 years, 80 years, lifetime ? :P In some areas house prices have gone up 30% literally in 1 year, where normally house prices are up 3%-4% yearly, not 30% !!! and to think that one expected house prices to go DOWN during the pandemic, I guess people are not thinking long term, they rush to buy an overvalued home in the worst possible moment, thinking they are getting a bargain because of interest rates, but not thinking that they will need an extra $100k-$200k to remodel.

Quote:
I've been considering moving further South and into a smaller house or a condo.

ahahaha don't fall for the infamous "condo" trap, that's another MADNESS going around, you have buildings being built everywhere, some cities are surrounded by buildings, it's ridiculous, it's all about money. A condo might be a comfort for those who no longer can manage a house, but often people buy them not thinking of all the cons.......You probably discovered only ONE of them, fees, which in some cases are as high as rent. There are other issues too, you are paying such ridiculous prices for a MUCH smaller space, unless you are moving into a penthouse :P a lot of those condos are just as expensive as homes and yet they are tiny. Another thing, you are subject to the rules of the building, you are subject to paying your share of repairs to common areas if the reserve does not cover them, which is often the case if the administration does not manage things properly, and often is the case if fees are too low, but eventually comes huge repairs - and those reserves made by the fees only cover for basic maintenance, and most of the time not for the BIG repairs. So when comes time to make those huge building repairs that cost several hundreds of thousands of $ or millions, guess who pays for them, yep, each condo owner pays their share, so if there is a $ 1 million repair to the elevators, the owners will have to pay for them, collectively, and you have no choice, you can't refuse under ANY circumstance. So in the end, a condo can end up costing you more than a house, far more, because in a home you can stretch repairs and do them when you can, but not in a condo, building repairs are far more costly. If you are still on your 2 feet, you are better off with a home, one that has no hidden defects and where you know you won't need major repairs - and it is even cheaper to hire someone to mow the lawn and remove the snow in the winter if you are unable to eventually, far cheaper than the $500/month or more condo fees. + Condos don't valuate as quickly as homes.

There are areas in Canada where condos fees are in the $800-$1k a month, that is bloody madness, you can live in a home and hire a few butlers, but I guess a lot of senior citizens are attracted by this model of living, often because they don't realise they can still remain in their home and get the help needed, for FAR CHEAPER than a condo !

Apartments here are tiny, and I'm guessing in the states too, I have family there and it's no different there, they are quite small, unless you can afford to live in New York in a penthouse or large apartment, it will probably be bigger than a standard home, but be prepared to pay the high price too :D But most condos here are what I call, shoe boxes :mrgreen: It's like airplanes, everybody is packed like sardines in a can, they are using every available space to squeeze in a seat to fit more passengers, well they are doing the same with buildings, it's total insanity, they are building 20+ story high rise and yet apartments are getting smaller and more expensive, might as well live in a home, you will need the space, unless you fancy living in a room the size of a jail cell :P

Quote:
The problem I find with condo's is many of the nice ones want to charge HO fees.
The fees are monthly and can be very extreme. I don't mind pay a monthly fee
if it is reasonable. However, many of them are over $500 a month and I wouldn't
pay that. Seems stupid. A lot depends on what is included in that fee but most
really don't include much of anything.

ahahahaha the fee includes maintenance to common areas, don't let anybody fool you otherwise, here that $500 can pay you a whole winter season of snow removal or mowing the lawn, that's why staying in a home and paying for maintenance is far cheaper than moving in a condo just to avoid doing work in your house. There are also condos that lure people with LOW fees, again a huge trap, because these buildings are below the minimum reserve they need, so when comes time for repairs, they will charge bigger amounts to owners. I know someone who used to live in a condo, she paid $400+ a month in condo fees, yet one day she got a nice letter that she must contribute $12,000 for roof repairs. Total bill for the building $400k refection of roof, she had a deadline to pay and had to........ ALSO in a Condo you are on your own with repairs inside your apartment, that includes repairs to the heating / cooling, duct maintenance, repairs, she had to pay $800-$1000 for that multiple times a year.

Quote:
I am thinking of the future and it is mighty handy where I am. Still, my house is
truly too big for me. I don't need the space and as I age, I know things will become
too much for me to handle. So I am thinking of moving to Florida or the Carolinas.

Florida, the crazy state, bad choice unless you enjoy hurricanes and crazy people, and crocodiles in your backyard :lol: As far as space and age, yeah that's why a lot of people a certain age move out of their home - but if you do the math, it is less costly to hire help than move out into a condo. Here, it's not uncommon for older folks to stay in their homes, there are lot of 80-90 year olds here living homes, they don't have to mow the lawn or shovel the snow, they pay for it, it's far cheaper than spending $2k-$4k a month in a senior home or spending $7k+ a year in condo fees :P
Darkstar2
Posts17,078
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given6,201

#11 by valerie » Tue Mar 16, 2021 14:37

Yes many HOA fees are well over $1,000 a month. Most of those are condo's along the
beach. I wouldn't want a condo on the beach anyway.

I lived in Florida so I am rather aware of what they offer in some areas. They have
senior living communities that are very nice. Many of those are small houses, duplex's,
mobile homes. These are a great option if you choose a community you like. The
thing about these is, the amenities for the most part are free. Generally there is a pool,
theater, recreation building, exercise/gym center, etc. Most of these communities you
must be at least 55 years of age or older. Most drive golf carts and are not far from
the beach. Most have transportation bus's that take people to their doctor appointments
and general health facilities nearby. I think they'd be a lot of fun. I know some of them
do charge optional fees and probably the fancier ones charge something monthly.

Moving is such a hassle but I am considering it.
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383

#12 by tasman1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 21:05

valerie wrote: Yes many HOA fees are well over $1,000 a month. Most of those are condo's along the

I lived in Florida so I am rather aware of what they offer in some areas. They have
senior living communities that are very nice. Many of those are small houses, duplex's,
thing about these is, the amenities for the most part are free. Generally there is a pool,
theater, recreation building, exercise/gym center, etc. Most of these communities you
must be at least 55 years of age or older. Most drive golf carts and are not far from
the beach. Most have transportation bus's that take people to their doctor appointments
and general health facilities nearby. I think they'd be a lot of fun. I know some of them

Just do it and remember , smaller the house is less rats inside the walls , only problem is that you like to move to Florida,
Rats are no problems there , only Crocodiles [ Small species , only size as Comodo dragons ]

Just try to ignore them and do not knock walls and you will be OK
tasman1
Posts16,037
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,507

#13 by Madison91 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 06:28

Ghost? Rats?
Madison91
Posts403
Member Since8 Apr 2019
Last VisitToday
Likes Given293
Likes Received234/163

#14 by valerie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 07:49

lol :lol:

I don't want ghosts and I don't want rats! :shock:
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383

#15 by tasman1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 15:07

valerie wrote: lol :lol:

I don't want ghosts and I don't want rats! :shock:

Why ? They are OK so long they are paying rents , plus they keep you company in long winter nights
tasman1
Posts16,037
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,507

#16 by Arvind9 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 18:59

valerie wrote: Yes many HOA fees are well over $1,000 a month. Most of those are condo's along the

Many people everywhere in the world are getting creative in their thinking to try and make life a bit easier and hassle free,even here people are looking for service apartments and homes,anytime you can go anywhere no responsibility of a house ownership,with life getting tougher people find the need for easier options
Arvind9
Posts4,730
Member Since16 Jun 2013
Last VisitToday
Likes Given3,885
Likes Received2,900/2,114

#17 by valerie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 19:10

I worked in health care much of my life and have watched many people grow old
and unable to properly care for homes that are too large for them.

That is a major reason why I sold my property after my spouse passed away. I
knew it was way too much for me to handle.

I moved almost three years ago. Time zooms by. Now I am considering down sizing
once again. Things are just things. Stuff is just stuff. Humans are a very weird species.
We're not on this planet very long and It's nice to live comfortably and have stuff but
there comes a time as one grows older that stuff is too much stuff. :lol:
valerie
Posts21,899
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,383
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are PST - Server Time: Dec 1, 2021 11:11:44 PST