Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkSturgis Rally - Rut Ro!
Topic Rating:

Jump to
Members LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanHindiUrduFilipinoIndonesianArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
Sturgis Rally - Rut Ro!

#1 by valerie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 22:43

I guess we'll see in a few weeks how many come back home with the covid-19 virus.
Of course, we won't ever know how many spread it to others across the USA....

....BUT.....don't forget......harley riders from all across the world go to Sturgis!

YIKES!
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379
Likes Received19,614/8,275

#2 by Arvind9 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 23:54

Oh is it because Sturgis is a well known place for Rock Concerts?
Arvind9
Posts4,712
Member Since16 Jun 2013
Last VisitToday
Likes Given3,863
Likes Received2,884/2,104

#3 by valerie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 07:15

No. Sturgis is welll known for black hills gold.

It has a rather long history. It started in the late 1930's with a few friends getting together
and riding Indian Motorcycles. Soon, they began having contests, who could get from point
a to point b first. Eventually it grew and became known as 'The Black Hills Rally' (due to the
black gold in the Dakota mountains).

In the late 40's a guy opened a bike store/shop in Sturgis. His nick name was 'Pappy'. He
is considered the founder of the Sturgis Rally.

Pappy rode an old Indian (well at that time it was not old). Over time the rally grew and grew.

Now every year in August, people from all over the world visit Sturgis, South Dakota for the
Harley Bike Rally. Old Indian bikes are welcome too. Whatever you do, don't ride a crotch
rocket to the rally! :lol:

Generally, over half a million people attend the big Sturgis Rally.

It's a ten day party fest where most anything goes.

My husband had a super glide (Harley) and we went to many rallies across the country. We
never made it to the big Sturgis Rally but they also have one called 'Little Sturgis' that is in
located in Kentucky. We went to the first 2 rallies at Little Sturgis. I guess now it's going on
20 years or more and has grown.

I think there are one or more other towns name 'Sturgis' that mimic the big Sturgis rally in
S. Dakota.
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379

#4 by Darkstar2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 07:46

valerie wrote: I guess we'll see in a few weeks how many come back home with the covid-19 virus.

This is exactly how the pandemic started Valerie, TRAVEL, nobody has learned their lesson again - the spring break travelers are the ones who caused a spike of COVID19 here and in the US, now with this event it is a GUARANTEE that the second wave will hit hard.

I'm sure everyone will wear their mask and stay 3 meters apart there, yeah I'm sure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Of course, we won't ever know how many spread it to others across the USA....

Statistically, most people won't develop symptoms and not require hospitalisation therefore they won't get tested, therefore, initially you won't see a surge - it will only come later as the silently infected people spread the virus and people actually get sick.

But of course, the event is more important than 300 million lives, people can't just consider 2020 a write off, nope they want to pretend everything is normal, and this will only delay the pandemic. This could have been over by 2021, but no, people need to deny.

Then the rest of the world will have someone to blame for the continuation of the pandemic, they will blame the United States :D

Meanwhile China's economy will boom, recover and no cases. If China is smart, they should close ALL travel in and out to the US and other countries severely infected. Same for Canada, I hope our MUPPET of a PM will close the borders for the remainder of the year. If Americans want to kill one another with COVID19, be my guest, but they should not infect the whole planet :P
Darkstar2
Posts17,058
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,197
Likes Received12,370/6,595

#5 by valerie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50

Unless one has had their head buried under a rock this year, everyone is aware of the
pandemic.

The majority of people that get the virus now, is people that were very much aware of it
and aware of the precautions. If they get it, it's most probable due to their lack of taking
necessary precautions. It doesn't matter what country you are in, you should be aware of
what you need to do to protect yourself. I know all people can't go the extra mile, but the
point is, they are aware, they do know what they need to do for protection.

Just like all the half million or more people at Sturgis. They are alll aware of the pandemic.
They all know what they are supposed to do to protect themselves and others. They are
determined to ignore the signs, hop on their bike, head on to Sturgis, bumper to bumper
butts in the streets and bars, coughing, sneezing, peeing, pooping, yelling, screaming,
spitting, sweating, drinking, drugging, and all that wonderful stuff that comes with a big
biker party. Dare I mention 'sales'. Touching touching touching t-shirts, handbags, bike
equipment, and so on. What about age, young? Noooooooo! Young and Old go to the
biker parties.

I think it's gonna be bad. I really do. I think in a few weeks, we are going to see a huge
rise in cases.
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379

#6 by suraraj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56

Compare this to India, in my state, government have collected Rupees 19 crores of money from people who have violated the restrictions. Though there are restrictions and most of the people are wearing Masks, the daily infection rate is not coming down. :roll: :roll:
suraraj
Posts970
Member Since24 Nov 2017
Last VisitToday
Likes Given211
Likes Received815/544

#7 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:03

I also read about the Sturgis rally in a Danish newspaper, Headline was "sheer stupidity"

Nice example on how money is sometimes above everything else!!, 500.000 people crowded together is not what the US needs at the moment.
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461
Likes Received1,585/1,018

#8 by valerie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46

I think it is that 'it won't happen to me' and 'I won't die if I do get it' type of thinking.

One large problem with that type of thinking is people don't know what conditions they may have
or how their DNA will react to the virus when they do get it.

It's always amazing to see bungee jumpers and tight rope walkers and mountain climbers and so
many people seem to live for a thrill. Those types of thrills can kill you and as far as I know, you
don't come back. You have one life to live and I think many people are not cautious with that gift.

Life is a precious gift that we can't afford to toss away but unfortunately many people do just that.

I always enjoyed going to the big biker rallies. They have some amazing and fun events. One such
event is almost terrifying to watch. It's the 'Globe of Death'. The one's I have watched is not enclosed
at the top.....makes it even more dangerous because anyone could drop something down into the circle.
Several experienced bikers ride at excessive speeds criss crossing each other until their speed is so fast
they are actually riding on the walls. It's always a main attraction.
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379

#9 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 13:10

Sounds like a fun event indeed.

But amidst this pandemic it should be cancelled even though it's also very profitable, The word "logic" must have been thrown in the thrash bin.

But yeah!!, I'm sure all 500.000 can keep at least 2 meters distance from each other, Drink a lot of booze and the 2 meters will turn into 3, Covid-19 is a staunch supporter of this event (I have heard).

Lot's of profit have also been lost in Denmark even though the numbers of infected are very very small, All major events cancelled.
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#10 by valerie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 14:33

That's what it's all about, money.

Actually, the Sioux Indians blocked them from coming in across their territory. So, you got
to hand it to the Sioux for their caution. However, there is of course other routes to entering
Sturgis.

South Dakota is a State that has a low pandemic count and they do not enforce masks, etc.
They did not close businesses. Much of the country has looked at South Dakota, wondering
how they have done such a great job of a low pandemic count compared to every where else.

The Sturgis Rally brings in BILLIONS of dollars. Not millions. BILLIONS. To cancel it would
be a be big disappointment to their money bags. It is said the council members of Sturgis
voted against having the rally. But as everyone can see, they are having it anyway.
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379

#11 by valerie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 14:35

Oh and also, normally the Sioux allow traffic across their territory but it's said during this
rally they are not allowing delivery trucks or any vehicles to pass thru. Perhaps they would
allow an ambulance, but not even sure about that.
valerie
Posts21,894
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given5,379

#12 by tasman1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 14:48

It is nice to see that many do not obey current rules in this pandemic not just in US but world wide

Current rules are wrong , we humans can not live in isolation , alone , in virtual reality world , never , no way

The best way will be to isolate [ for 100 years :D ] all who are scared and let rest of us live normal until our time come to go
tasman1
Posts16,014
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,483
Likes Received15,852/8,251

#13 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 15:23

Nice going by the Sioux ;)

I would wish that logic came before BILLIONS of dollars, But that is fake news, Billions of dollars always win (Just throw the towel, No need for discussions on that).

Yes!! Infection rate in South Dakota are very low, So let's hope that "NONE" of the 500.000 (And most likely more) participants have covid-19.

Just try to imagine if there is just a couple of spreaders among the crowd??, It could turn into a downright catastrophe and also tarnish the reputation of the whole event for years (Unless they don't care about that at all).

Cancel the event

Give me the billion of Dollars (Or the value in Bananas).

I don't know what else to say (While i shake my head), I really hope for the US that they will soon get an effective vaccine, It seems it's the only way at the moment.

Tasman, Close your eyes and pretend the virus is not there (Good luck).
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#14 by tasman1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 15:45

Sweeden............drop in Sweden’s cases over the past month.

We all know why , herd immunity , no lock down , nothing , last free place on planet
tasman1
Posts16,014
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,483

#15 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 16:15

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No my dear TAS, Sweden are far away from herd immunity. have you any idea how many infected is required to gain a heard immunity (We are talking over 60% of the population, preferably 70%), And Sweden are far from that.

Swedens biggest problem during this pandemic have been isolating care homes for the elderly from transmission of the virus, The majority of the total death counts are from these locations (Geeez you need to cut down on the amount of fake news).

Sweden's population is just about 40% higher than ours, But Sweden's death toll are nearly 10 times of ours, And yes!! Sweden's economy have also been severely affected even with the so called (no lockdowns), Some regions in Sweden actually had lockdowns to prevent further transmission.

I totally agree with you that the Australian government have over-reacted due to the rising number of infections, But these rising numbers are isolated (like our own) to certain parts of the country, And not and issue with wide-spreading in general across the country, And of course it's important to make sure to isolate these areas and prevent the transmission
from being spread to other parts.

If we all want to get back to our daily lives, It don't help dismissing the virus and throw a giant party of 5 million people, Only if you want further lockdowns of course.

Yes!! Sweden have finally gotten the virus under control, It just took a couple of months longer than the other Nordic countries which not even have half the number of deaths than we have in Denmark.

Denmark : 620 deaths

Norway : 256 Deaths

Finland : 333 Deaths

Sweden : 5766 Deaths
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#16 by tasman1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 16:30

Herd immunity

Big number in start low number at the end and freedom as a bonus

Let see number in long term in few years time

Folks who attended Sturgis Rally will have good immunity [ bet you 100 to 1 ]
Last edited by tasman1 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 16:36 » edited 1 time in total
tasman1
Posts16,014
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given14,483

#17 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 16:53

It still has nothing to do with herd immunity.

If Sweden gained a fully herd immunity i can promise you that the number of deaths would be much higher.

Even Sweden's epidemiologist Anders Tegnell have admitted that gaining a herd immunity was a wrong course of action to begin with, He also regretted the high number of deaths and admitted that they haven't been good enough to keep care homes safe.

Sweden's hot spot for the virus is mainly contained to their capital Stockholm where it is estimated that 10 to 15 percent of the population have somewhat more or less gained an immunity to the virus, However that estimate is uncertain because it's still unclear how much immunity you gain from the antibodies.

I have also followed the Swedish news (I have no problem reading or understanding Swedish at all), I have my sources from the regional newspapers and not some unknown bloke on youtube.

But i'm glad they finally have it under control
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#18 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 17:00

tasman1 wrote: Herd immunity

I completely disagree on your solution to end the Covid-19 pandemic.

But that's okay :D , We can't agree on everything.
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#19 by Nikorj » Mon Aug 10, 2020 17:02

tasman1 wrote: Herd immunity

Sleep well ;)

I need to hit the canvas (nice discussion) :)
Nikorj
Posts1,909
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit9 Nov 2021
Likes Given1,461

#20 by Darkstar2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 17:26

valerie wrote: ...coughing, sneezing, peeing, pooping, yelling, screaming,
spitting, sweating, drinking, drugging, and all that wonderful stuff that comes with a big
biker party.

They are probably gonna miss their bikes when they are in a hospital struggling to breath inside their respirator - they are probably gonna miss their bikes more than their husband/wife/kid(s) :D Maybe some of those bikers think that covid19 is no big deal, just a nasty @$$ cold that kills old folks, well little do they know that COVID19 is killing more young people now, kids and teens more than anybody else at the present time and that the majority of cases now are teens to young adults, you know, the ones who fornicate, party and disturb the peace :mrgreen:

Quote:
I think it's gonna be bad. I really do. I think in a few weeks, we are going to see a huge
rise in cases.

Well we both agree on this one, unless Trump waves his magic wand and coughs up a cure for the virus, wouldn't it be nice, a cure to wipe this pandemic, other than drinking a container of Chlorox :lol:
Darkstar2
Posts17,058
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,197
Likes Received12,370/6,595
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are PST - Server Time: Nov 26, 2021 23:54:01 PST