Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkJust a quick hello.
Topic Rating:

Jump to
ySense Customer Care CornerySense Knowledge CenterMembers LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanHindiUrduFilipinoIndonesianArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
Just a quick hello.

#1 by dutch1898 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 21:20

Last Sat,two weeks ago,my computer got hacked
and my monitor packed it up. Not sure if that was on account
of the attack on my PC, but it happened at the same time.
This is my first message online and all seems to be ok
$ 275 dollars poorer. :D
dutch1898
Posts1,372
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last Visit15 Dec 2020
Likes Given1,024
Likes Received1,816/877

#2 by tasman1 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 21:23

Welcome back . you lost 275 but you have permission to rob bank for 1000.00 , good luck
tasman1
Posts16,944
Member Since5 May 2012
Last VisitToday
Likes Given15,431
Likes Received16,693/8,712

#3 by valerie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 21:49

Welcome back!
valerie
Posts22,508
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given5,623
Likes Received19,993/8,547

#4 by Darkstar2 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 22:16

dutch1898 wrote: Last Sat,two weeks ago,my computer got hacked
and my monitor packed it up. Not sure if that was on account
of the attack on my PC, but it happened at the same time.
This is my first message online and all seems to be ok
$ 275 dollars poorer. :D

Welcome back - Please don't tell me that you were a victim of ransomware or by one of those fake Microsoft scammers that call and tell you that you need to pay them to unlock your PC ??????? this scam is going strongly in Canada and US.
Sorry you went through this, and hopefully your PC is protected now - as far as the monitor it's likely a coincidence, how long have you had it ? Those LCD monitors don't last as much as good old CRT.......
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598
Likes Received12,933/7,056

#5 by Darkstar2 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 22:17

tasman1 wrote: Welcome back . you lost 275 but you have permission to rob bank for 1000.00 , good luck

Weak ambitions :lol:
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598

#6 by dutch1898 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 07:55

Yes it was the Microsoft one.I did not open it or called them,
buut only a few minutes later my screen went black and could no longer
access my computer. Took it to Staples and they said the motherboard
was fried. I told them to get it back to me and then took it to a small
local shop for a second opinion. He found the motherboard fine, but
some hard drive problems and got it working. Now with a (new used)
monitor I am baaaaack. nice to see the regular forum friends. I missed you
all. :lol:
dutch1898
Posts1,372
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last Visit15 Dec 2020
Likes Given1,024
Likes Received1,816/877

#7 by suraraj » Mon Dec 07, 2020 08:12

Welcome back. :thumbup: :thumbup:
suraraj
Posts1,059
Member Since24 Nov 2017
Last VisitToday
Likes Given226
Likes Received864/580

#8 by Arvind9 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 08:35

Good to see you back
Arvind9
Posts5,085
Member Since16 Jun 2013
Last VisitToday
Likes Given4,288
Likes Received3,119/2,267

#9 by dutch1898 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 08:41

Thanks
dutch1898
Posts1,372
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last Visit15 Dec 2020
Likes Given1,024
Likes Received1,816/877

#10 by josealvesjr » Mon Dec 07, 2020 08:49

Good that you are back in business Dutch. Those hackers are a global plague makes you sick.
josealvesjr
Posts1,741
Member Since15 Sep 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given453
Likes Received1,335/872

#11 by Darkstar2 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02

dutch1898 wrote: Yes it was the Microsoft one.I did not open it or called them,
buut only a few minutes later my screen went black and could no longer
access my computer. Took it to Staples and they said the motherboard
was fried.

Those in-store computer maintenance services are just as bad as sending your car to a mechanic for inspection, you will get ripped off with issues you don't have. Your instinct to ask for a second opinion was a good one. Did they actually INSPECT your motherboard before making that diagnosis or they just imagined it out of thin air ? You likely had viruses/malware on your computer, that won't fry your monitor or motherboard, as far as that black screen, maybe your monitor was not bad - did you try the same monitor on the fixed PC ? Maybe the HD's boot sector or important system files were messed up. I use Malwarebytes Premium (renewed every year) + Avira Pro (renewed every year). If your computer is compromised with malware your data may be at risk - gotta love those stores that want to push you to buy a new motherboard which is just fine - these tech services are sometimes just as bad as the telemarketing scammers :mrgreen:

Quote:
I told them to get it back to me and then took it to a small
local shop for a second opinion. He found the motherboard fine, but
some hard drive problems and got it working. Now with a (new used)
monitor I am baaaaack. nice to see the regular forum friends. I missed you
all. :lol:

You see even computers are not immune to COVID19 - Glad you are back and safe :D
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598

#12 by dutch1898 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:09

Staples suggested they could give me a good deal on a
new laptop after the informed me that the motherboard
was fried, That gave me the thought for a second opinion.
The monitor was an old one and ended up dying at the
same time .maybe just a coincidence. The small shop owner
gave me a used one to try out. Working with it now,
and like it quite well. Have to find out what he will charge me.
He sounds like a very reasonable person willing to help those
on small budgets.
dutch1898
Posts1,372
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last Visit15 Dec 2020
Likes Given1,024
Likes Received1,816/877

#13 by Darkstar2 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:14

dutch1898 wrote: Staples suggested they could give me a good deal on a
new laptop after the informed me that the motherboard
was fried,

What a scam - That's like sending your car to be fixed and they tell you the whole transmission is finished, and they offer you a deal on a new car, when the actual problem was the air filter :lol: You would expect this kind of crap from Best Buy or another well known computer service franchise I have a mind, which I won't name, but you probably heard of, they are cons ! That's why I do ALL of my computer servicing and build, build from scratch, repair, all, I'm happy that I have learned all that stuff and don't have to rely on these services that rip people off. Sometimes a motherboard is in perfect condition and all it needs is a recap (changing some bad capacitors), the least expensive repairs, and same for monitors, most of the time caps go bad or the led assembly needs changing or power supply issues. I am surprised that Staples would do such a thing, I would expect this from Best Buy as they use a company - I don' tknow what Staples use, but there are many stories like that, people bringing their computer and being pushed expensive upgrades, when majority of the time things can be fixed by changing power supply or inexpensive components ....

Quote:
The monitor was an old one and ended up dying at the
same time .maybe just a coincidence. The small shop owner
gave me a used one to try out. Working with it now,
and like it quite well. Have to find out what he will charge me.
He sounds like a very reasonable person willing to help those
on small budgets.

Your old monitor could probably easily be revived with some new caps and new leds, assuming the power supply is not shot. If it's an older LCD base don CFL, it's not worth repairing, monitors now use LEDs and computer monitors are fairly inexpensive. I usually extend the life of my monitors by lowering the backlight, your eyes eventually get used to it and you can significantly increase the life. My Samsung computer monitor I think is over 12 years and it's working like brand new, it is based on LED, 1080p - overheat and static are the worst enemies for electronics. Unfortunately companies are cutting corners - things are getting cheap so cheaper components are used, cheaper capacitors too...... Older CRTs were built to last, unfortunately modern TVs are not built to last, BUT if you are lucky you could help extend their life by avoiding overheating and reducing backlight and getting good brands - some brands have been known to use counterfeit capacitors, this has happened to motherboards some years ago, which caused a lot of issues.
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598

#14 by dutch1898 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 19:49

For me if it gets beyond copying and pasting I tend to get confused and lost. :roll:
dutch1898
Posts1,372
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last Visit15 Dec 2020
Likes Given1,024
Likes Received1,816/877

#15 by Nikorj » Tue Dec 08, 2020 06:00

Welcome back Dutch ;)

Microsoft themselves will never call you if your pc gets hacked or if it get's infected with a virus.

Windows defender have actually become a pretty decent malware protector with windows 10 (almost too aggressive from what i prefer). Alternative (If you can afford it) is too buy a subscription for a malware protection program like Malwarebytes, Kaspersky etc., The difference here is that they provide you real-time protection if you pay for a subscription, other than that the free and paid versions are basically the same.

Make sure to scan your pc once in a while, And never!! click any links in your emails and add any form of private information including details of your credit card.

Stay safe ;)
Nikorj
Posts1,935
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit14 Jun 2022
Likes Given1,473
Likes Received1,609/1,034

#16 by Darkstar2 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 07:38

Nikorj wrote: Welcome back Dutch ;)

Microsoft themselves will never call you if your pc gets hacked or if it get's infected with a virus.

You would be surprised how many people in Canada and US fall for this scam, they even call people with no computers and with MAC users why the F..... would Microsoft ask you to pay them using gift cards, makes no bloody sense. BUT people fall for this, especially those who are not familiar with computers. Then there is the issue of a lot of FAKE antivirus circulating online, you install it and it scans your computer and tells you that you have infections that need to be removed, obviously this is complete and utter bollocks, only to make you BUY their fake crap and spend money for nothing.

Quote:
Windows defender have actually become a pretty decent malware protector with windows 10 (almost too aggressive

This is debatable - YES they have become better over the years, but they still fall short in detection rate - I've done a few tests of my own. Unfortunately 100% detection is impossible, some AV claim 100% detection but in reality what it means is that they recognise 100% of the viruses in the wild, known viruses, but these 100% detection rates are subject to vary month to month - I found that Avira Pro has a higher detection rate than Defender, but both defender and avira can fall short on non virus malware detection, which is why I use both Avira Pro and Malwarebytes Premium side by side, they both work fine and provide virus, malware, trojan, spyware, all in one, and defender's interface is rubbish, the level of control is BASIC compared to a paid AV. Defender alone might be enough for some people but depending on the sites you visit, you may need extra protection, especially people who are on PTC sites, GPT sites, do offers and are exposed to 3rd party ads and redirects, you need that extra layer of protection.

Quote:
Make sure to scan your pc once in a while, And never!! click any links in your emails and add any form of private information including details of your credit card.

Stay safe ;)

In Canada we get the infamous Microsoft scam calls, and the IRS calls to warn us that we owe taxes and to pay the IRS with Walmart gift cards :lol: :lol: :lol: or that we are most wanted by FBI and that we need to pay $400 to settle............it's really quite a shame that people fall for this - there are probably many legit survey companies calling over the phone or telemarketers that are probably getting a rough time now because of all the scammers, people are not trusting anything done over the phone, legit or not, it's amazing how many calls I get, on a daily basis, the latest call I had was an astrologer who wanted to read my future, a week ago I owed money to the IRS, and a week before, to the CRA lol - Amazing how Canada's revenue agency accepts payments in gift cards, amazing :lol:

I hope nobody here on this forum is doing this kind of scamming, it's understandable that some people take desperate measures to make money and support themselves, but it should not be at the cost of destroying lives of vulnerable people - because scammers target the poor and vulnerable, not the rich class :P
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598

#17 by Nikorj » Tue Dec 08, 2020 08:11

Yes!! staying safe on the net can be difficult at times, I have experienced it myself a couple of times.

Once i paid for an upload service from a company i couldn't find any info about, 1 week later i was almost 40.000 DKK poorer (but it was damn cheap :lol: ), Got my money back though after some wrestling with my bank.

Ahh!! the days of helping my father removing crawling worms from his monitor screen is long gone, He made a wise decision of upgrading windows 2000 to windows 10 :lol: :lol: (A huge leap, But clever) :mrgreen:
Nikorj
Posts1,935
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last Visit14 Jun 2022
Likes Given1,473
Likes Received1,609/1,034

#18 by Darkstar2 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 09:11

Nikorj wrote: Yes!! staying safe on the net can be difficult at times, I have experienced it myself a couple of times.

Once i paid for an upload service from a company i couldn't find any info about, 1 week later i was almost 40.000 DKK poorer (but it was damn cheap :lol: ), Got my money back though after some wrestling with my bank.

Upload service ? You mean upload your brain to the cloud and later to be used in a cloned body ? :P

Quote:
Ahh!! the days of helping my father removing crawling worms from his monitor screen is long gone,

Were they INSIDE the monitor or crawling outside ? The ones that crawl outside are the easiest to remove :mrgreen:

Quote:
He made a wise decision of upgrading windows 2000 to windows 10 :lol: :lol: (A huge leap, But clever) :mrgreen:

ahahaha yeah HUGE leap indeed, just make sure to use tools that cleanse Win10 because WIn10 out of the box is bloated and contains lots of spyware, telemetry and useless crap you don't want on your system, I've managed to tweak my Win10 and trim the fat, remove the bloat.......now I can clearly say that Win10 is the best OS I have ever used, boots in only 10 seconds to full desktop on my SSD.
Darkstar2
Posts18,286
Member Since2 Oct 2011
Last VisitToday
Likes Given6,598
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are PST - Server Time: Jul 1, 2022 21:35:45 PST