Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkGT Distractions -- Tech Updates
Topic Rating:

Jump to
ySense Customer Care CornerySense Knowledge CenterMembers LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanHindiUrduFilipinoIndonesianArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
GT Distractions -- Tech Updates

#1 by DaxOnlineWork » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09

I have put this thread alive to post the latest and blazing updates of Technology.

DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#2 by DaxOnlineWork » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17

Firefox OS Developer Preview Phone

Mozilla has announced Developer Preview Phones of Firefox OS in this week. Firefox OS is built entirey using open web standards.

The amazing Mozilla is now into OS of Smartphones!

The first step has been taken and the Developer Phones will be made available by February, although a specific date has not been given. This Developer Phone is intended for the Developers to develop their apps using the wonderful HTML5!

"In Firefox OS, HTML5 apps can do “phone things” – they can make the phone vibrate, make a phone call or send a text message." -- Stormy Peters, Director of Websites and Developer Engagement at Mozilla.

These phones are being developed by Geeksphone in partnership with Telefonica.

Two Phone models, viz., The Keon model and The Peak model along with their specifications are specified in the article.

Do you know that you can Install Firefox OS on your own hardware?
Marvelous!

I am very excited.

Read it yourself -- Announcing the Firefox OS Developer Preview Phone!
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#3 by DaxOnlineWork » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18

@ob Sorry to use your "GT Distractions --" phrase ;) Hope you don't mind :D
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#4 by oberder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25

:thumbup: All's good, Dax -- no worries on my end :mrgreen:
oberder
Posts8,580
Member Since26 Jan 2009
Last Visit23 Dec 2016
Likes Given7,087
Likes Received4,675/2,613

#5 by DaxOnlineWork » Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:38

UPDATE

Chinese phone maker ZTE is planning to launch a smartphone based on Mozilla's Firefox OS at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February. However no more details are available at this moment and have to wait until February 25.

Read it here -- ZTE to launch Firefox OS smartphone at MWC | ITworld
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#6 by DaxOnlineWork » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25

Mozilla Recognized as Most Trusted Internet Company for Privacy
Mozilla has been named the Most Trusted Internet Company for Privacy in 2012, according to a study of Ponemon Institute.

The study results were released on January 28 which is observed as Data Privacy Day by USA, Canada and 27 European Countries. The study surveyed more that 100,000 consumers in USA and at the end, Mozilla ranked highest in the Internet and Social Media industry.

This is certainly quite a distinction and the product of a user-centric philosophy implemented by contributors to the Mozilla project over the past decade. Engineers, UX designers, security, engagement, IT and privacy folks have made thousands of small decisions over the years that have collectively created the user trust reflected by this survey. This recognition is not something we sought, as we don’t view privacy as an end unto itself, but it’s greatly appreciated given all the complexities and nuances associated with privacy and security today. -- Harvey Anderson, Mozilla’s VP of business affairs.
We all have to continue our efforts — both big and small — to create a more trustworthy environment of online products that seamlessly integrate ease of use, transparency, and user choice.

Also, this is the first time Mozilla making into the Ponemon's list and acquired No. 20 ranking out of Top 20 overall performers, with American Express, Hawlett Packard, Amazon, IBM and U.S. Postal Service topping the list in order.

Read the article on Mozilla blog -- Mozilla Recognized as Most Trusted Internet Company for Privacy | The Mozilla Blog
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#7 by DaxOnlineWork » Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:11

Facebook Page Insights Reporting Updated

Facebook has announced that they have uncovered bugs that have impacted impression and reach reporting through Page Insights of a Page.

Facebook has recently conducted a comprehensive engineering audit on Page Insights. During this audit, they have uncovered bugs that impacted impression and reach reporting. Ad Insights are not effected by these bugs.

To see the overall impact, if any, on your individual Pages, we recommend looking at your organic, paid and viral reach and impressions for your Page and for your posts over the next few weeks, starting on Monday, February 25. Because these bugs impacted our logging systems we won't be able to backfill Page Insights with historical data. --posted in the release.

Most Pages are expected to observe :
  1. Total reach to stay the same or increase for most Pages.
  2. An increase in paid reach if you ran News Feed ads.
  3. An increase or decrease in organic reach, depending on many factors such as the composition of your fan base, when and how often you post and your spending patterns.
  4. A change in metrics computed from reach and impressions, such as engagement rate and virality.

Read the article on Facebook
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#8 by DaxOnlineWork » Thu Mar 14, 2013 07:44

Google shuts down the Google Reader on July 1, 2013

Google has announced on Wednesday that the Google Reader will be closed along with seven other products so as to focus on more specific products.

You heard right! This is a heart-breaking news to the die hard fans of Google Reader.

In the announcement, two reasons for this closure are explained.
  1. Usage of the Google Reader has declined.
  2. As a company, Google is pouring all of its energy into a fewer products - otherwise, they would spread too thin and lack impact.

To ensure a smooth transition, a three-month sunset period has been provided so that the users would find an alternative feed-relating service.

Aley calls this as "transitioning from invest-in-everything to a more disciplined approach."

If the users of the Reader want to retain their data, including subscriptions, they can do so through Google Takeout.

Read the complete announcement on Official Google Reader Blog

The products that are being closed in this second spring of Google's cleaning are parts of Apps Script, partial shutdown of CaIDAV API, Google Building Maker, partial shutdown of Google Cloud Connect, Google Reader, Google Voice App for Blackberry, Search API for Shopping, Snapseed Desktop for Macintosh and Windows.
Read the complete announcement in the Official Google Blog

Looking for the alternatives ???
We have the solution recommended by How-To Geek --> Best Alternatives to Google Reader
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#9 by DaxOnlineWork » Fri Mar 15, 2013 07:21

Google bans Ad Blockers from Google Play Store

After the most unlikely move of retiring the Google Reader, Google has now started banning ad blockers from the Google Pay Store which hosts applications for Andriod.

According to first hand sources, Google has removed ad blockers like Adblock Plus, AdAway or Ad Blocker and are no longer available in the Play Store.

The following section of the Play Store Developer Distribution Agreement was cited as the reason for that by Google:
Quote:4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.
It simply means that any app should not "interfere with another service or product in an unauthorized manner."

When you try and open the applications on Google Play you receive the notification that the url was not found on the server, as in the image provided above.

What about existing users ?
The existing users of the ad blockers are able to use it without any problem except that they will no longer receive the updates automatically and so should be done manually.

How can I install them now ?
The blockers have to be installed from the respective author's website or any other Stores.

Google’s main intention seems clear. It is first and foremost an advertising company, and users who use ad blockers reduce the revenue that ads generate on Android. With ad blockers being banned, ads are shown to more Android users and as a consequence, Google’s revenue from that increases.
Posted by Martin Brinkmann

Although, Chrome Web Store seems not affected as of this writing.

Read it on gHacks Technology News
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#10 by oberder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05

:idea: In regards to Google's move, I got to read that from another news source: Google Takes the Dark Path, Censors AdBlock Plus on Android | Electronic Frontier Foundation
oberder
Posts8,580
Member Since26 Jan 2009
Last Visit23 Dec 2016
Likes Given7,087

#11 by DaxOnlineWork » Sun Mar 17, 2013 00:54

This is terrible. What is Google doing presently? Yesterday it is Reader. Today it is Ad Blockers. Tomorrow ? :o
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#12 by DaxOnlineWork » Tue Mar 26, 2013 07:47

Google's invasion continues : Blocked Sites feature discontinued

Google continues retiring products from its pocket. This time, the victim is Blocked Sites feature from the Google Search, very quietly.

The Blocked Sites feature enabled users to block websites from appearing in the Google Search. This feature is very handy to block any unwanted websites.

But, Google has discontinued this feature. This is not announced in the Google Blog and is done very quietly.

If you attempt to open the blocked sites page on Google, you will notified of the latest move.

Quote:Manage Blocked Sites (DISCONTINUED)
Dear users,
We have discontinued offering the blocked sites feature for now. We continue to offer the Chrome extension for blocking sites, and will reconsider features for blocking unwanted search results in the future.

You may download your blocked sites list as a text file below.

Download as text file.

The blocked sites list is available to download as a text file and link will be given on that page. It has been noted from gHacks blog post that the text in the file appears lumped together in Notepad but will display fine in editors like Notepad++.

Google is now promoting the company’s official Chrome Extension for blocking sites in the search results when the user is using Google Chrome. But it has not mentioned any alternative to other browsers. Firefox users can have a look at Google Domain Blocker userscript.
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#13 by oberder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:43

Speaking about Google dropping its RSS service ( Google Reader ), found some more news articles online in regards to it's depreciating service, as noted by GigaOm author Om Malik

:idea: Reference source:
Google Reader lived on borrowed time: creator Chris Wetherell reflects — Tech News and Analysis

This article is related to a news article posted on the BBC news website:

:idea: Reference source -- BBC News - Google to retire RSS news-feed service

If by any chance one wants to find an alternative RSS feed reading service, it seems that BBC's Click was able to showcase in one of it's latest episodes ( I wasn't able to view in on cable days back, but there are archived show episodes on the BBC site:

:idea: Reference source -- BBC News Channel - Click
oberder
Posts8,580
Member Since26 Jan 2009
Last Visit23 Dec 2016
Likes Given7,087

#14 by oberder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29

:shock: Got to see this from the Publisher's News site section ( and why didn't I see this one soon enough -- and since it's news, not yet the actual product -- guess it be fitting here instead )

Piriform -- the one who have provided CCleaner for Windows and Mac users -- now has plans to present a CCleaner for the Android; yes, a CCleaner on your smartphones

:idea: Reference source -- Piriform News - CCleaner Android
oberder
Posts8,580
Member Since26 Jan 2009
Last Visit23 Dec 2016
Likes Given7,087

#15 by DaxOnlineWork » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32

Droid? :shock: That's great news :D
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#16 by DaxOnlineWork » Wed Apr 10, 2013 08:22

TechCrunch reports that Google has removed about 60,000 low-quality apps from the Play Store. This is an indication of increased fighting against spam and also at the same time, in improving their trustworthiness as a market for the products like Movies, Apps, Games, etc., which in turn increases the revenue generated by the Play Store.
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#17 by DaxOnlineWork » Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:17

This April, Gmail completed 9 years! Here is the infographic of how the Gmail has evolved over the past 9 years.

:idea: Did you know?? Gmail started on April 1st - many thought it is just a fools prank :shock:

DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#18 by ptcscrutiny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:57

Thanks for the Gmail history dax.
I just checked the oldest mail in my Gmail account and its dated Sep 4, 2005. Its the welcome mail from
Back then there was so much craze about Gmail when it was an invite based system because of that 1 GB space they offered. I remember having to beg to my friend to send me an invite :lol:

Hotmail used to offer 25 MB space back then. You could increase it to 250 MB by changing the address in your profile to a U.S. address with a correct zip code. I was so short of space that I did it :mrgreen:
ptcscrutiny
Posts5,879
Member Since10 Sep 2010
Last Visit24 Jan 2022
Likes Given2,499
Likes Received5,784/2,529

#19 by DaxOnlineWork » Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:10

ptcscrutiny wrote: I remember having to beg to my friend to send me an invite :lol:
:lol: I too have a few of these moments :mrgreen: and still my friends ask me to accept their invitations for apps in Facebook :shock: Crazy apps of Facebook !!

ptcscrutiny wrote: Hotmail used to offer 25 MB space back then. You could increase it to 250 MB by changing the address in your profile to a U.S. address with a correct zip code. I was so short of space that I did it :mrgreen:
Just 25 :o I understand why you did that tweak ;)
DaxOnlineWork
Posts1,948
Member Since19 Oct 2011
Last Visit2 Oct 2016
Likes Given1,627
Likes Received1,173/743

#20 by oberder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59

:mrgreen: Well, looks like it's my turn to contribute:

Philippine Inquirer Technology section -- Microsoft shuts down support for Windows XP in PCs, laptops

Now clear and evident -- XP users will now be given the ultimatum, as Microsoft will ceast all technical support and updates for the 11+ year old Windows OS. Given a brief statement:

Quote:“Windows XP will no longer receive security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft after April 8, 2014,”

Though that technical support will end on the said date, it doesn't mean that the OS will never be applicable to today's system -- anyone can still use XP, and it'll still function as it has been -- but it won't be anymore secure now, given that security updates and patches will not be anymore available, thus leading to vulnerabilities to the said OS. So the best advice ( if not yet done ) is to upgrade to a better OS -- that is either win7 or 8 :geek:
oberder
Posts8,580
Member Since26 Jan 2009
Last Visit23 Dec 2016
Likes Given7,087
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are PST - Server Time: Jan 28, 2022 17:29:32 PST