Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkDoes your country do Couponing?
Topic Rating:

Jump to
Members LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanNederlandsGreekHindiUrduBengaliFilipinoIndonesianMalayArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
Does your country do Couponing?

#1 by proadco » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:16

Coupons are a big thing in America
Last edited by proadco » Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:02 » edited 3 times in total
proadco
Posts3,234
Member Since25 Feb 2007
Last Visit6 Sep 2019
Likes Given1,993
Likes Received1,687/1,116

#2 by cxywn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:29

Not in mine - I've never seen anyone giving coupons at the checkout lines. Perhaps we prefer direct discounts, even the deceptive ones where the store had raised prices a week before the sale day :shock: there are so many consumer products on the shelves we mainly buy impulsively on price differences.
cxywn
Posts499
Member Since25 Jul 2014
Last Visit24 Aug 2019
Likes Given166
Likes Received296/160

#3 by Nikorj » Tue Jul 21, 2015 17:46

There have been a few attempts in Denmark But it has never gained any ground,I simply dont think danes bother with it really.

I have a few relatives in the US and ive seen them do it a lot.

Instead we have a supermarket called freemarket where you can shop 10 free groceries a month (Mostly its crisps,candy energy drinks e.t.c)

You sign up for it on the net,Then you grab your free goods and go home and do an online-review about them.

Not a bad idea at all :D
Nikorj
Posts1,478
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given1,164
Likes Received1,269/796

#4 by hyldig » Tue Jul 21, 2015 18:34

We do have something similar . We can by various stores get Store cards , using those we can buy members only stuf at cheap discount offers . We on some of the cards also get cashback when we use it at the counter when we are paying . COOP Denmark is 1 of the oldest companies using those Cards . It is much similar to Coupons . :thumbup:
hyldig
Posts871
Member Since8 Sep 2013
Last Visit8 Jul 2017
Likes Given63
Likes Received444/306

#5 by cxywn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 18:48

Store cards yes we have them, too. But not coupons as commonly used in the U.S. - those little boxes with dashed borders and big red "$1.00 OFF!!! BUY 1 GET 1 BUY 100 GET A KISS" tucked on the corners of magazine advertisements. Sometimes I wonder that many Americans, the most well-off denizens of the planet, still have time to clip such things and save some little money. Or perhaps that thriftiness was what made them great in the first place :thumbup: By the way I'm personally happy with it (my main job is designing print ads with coupons for a publisher in Connecticut).
cxywn
Posts499
Member Since25 Jul 2014
Last Visit24 Aug 2019
Likes Given166
Likes Received296/160

#6 by hyldig » Tue Jul 21, 2015 19:27

Danish economy looks much like the US economy . I remember the dark side of the attempt of bringing in coupons here . Many used them , but then to why it was abandoned . It lead to massive fraud with the coupons . I was brought up between very low income families . I know the dark side of that story very well . Believe me , our society have actually changed to the worse since . Not that the coupons would not be used , but they would lead to massive fraud and los for the stores . :)
hyldig
Posts871
Member Since8 Sep 2013
Last Visit8 Jul 2017
Likes Given63
Likes Received444/306

#7 by BouldRake » Tue Jul 21, 2015 20:29

Coupons are a thing, but they're rare - for the reasons hyldig states. Shopkeepers hate them, and will avoid taking them if they can. You do get coupons with supermarket reward cards and such, but cutting them out of papers and magazines? Not so much.

Well, I say not so much, you do see people cut them out, you'll even see people pin them to their kitchen notice board, but I've never seen anyone actually use one since...probably the 90's.
BouldRake
Posts2,841
Member Since1 Aug 2010
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given10
Likes Received2,959/1,511

#8 by hyldig » Tue Jul 21, 2015 20:47

We do get another kind of coupons to . We a couple of times a year get a spam mail coupon folder with a lot of cheap 1 time offers and cheap trail buys . But we have to read the offers closely not to end up getting ripped of .
hyldig
Posts871
Member Since8 Sep 2013
Last Visit8 Jul 2017
Likes Given63
Likes Received444/306

#9 by S_Abbott » Tue Jul 21, 2015 21:46

cxywn wrote: Store cards yes we have them, too. But not coupons as commonly used in the U.S. - those little boxes with dashed borders and big red "$1.00 OFF!!! BUY 1 GET 1 BUY 100 GET A KISS" tucked on the corners of magazine advertisements. Sometimes I wonder that many Americans, the most well-off denizens of the planet, still have time to clip such things and save some little money. Or perhaps that thriftiness was what made them great in the first place :thumbup: By the way I'm personally happy with it (my main job is designing print ads with coupons for a publisher in Connecticut).

LOL not all of us Americans are that well off, hon. Not sure what channel you're watching. ;)

Actually, back some years ago, when I was still with the "ick ex", I found I had to cut some major corners. (He was always out of work and had child support payments.) And I worked a full time plus two part time jobs, had a kid to take care of, and a father with dementia, and two households to take care of.

I studied this one lady's tactics, applied them, and wound up saving a mint! I could do upwards of $500 plus in groceries and step out of the store only paying $8 or $9 and sometimes only $4 or $5...with coupons. Not savings cards (which are a bit too hyped here). Learned how to shop in bulk, too, for the every day items (toilet paper, soap, shampoos, etc.). It takes a bit of strategy, some patience, and determination. ROFL But I can tell you, for those of us who are not blessed with a large bank account...it sure pays off.

edit to add: Actually the fraud issue is prevalent here, too. But the stores I've shopped at over the years have sure stepped up, and not too many can get away with it. Of course, there are always people who will try to slip in expireds, or one extra product. But for the most part, the stores do a decent job catching the bad guys.
S_Abbott
Posts571
Member Since14 Sep 2007
Last Visit11 Sep 2019
Likes Given491
Likes Received508/262

#10 by BouldRake » Tue Jul 21, 2015 22:25

That's only one side of the fraud. There's also nastiness on the side of the providers - they'll have nasty tricks like only paying for X purchases, and hiding it in the small print. You local corner shop doesn't find out until it's sold twice as many and finds itself in serious debt.

These are issues that are technically legal, and don't get legislated against until the practice is more widespread - a chicken and egg problem.
BouldRake
Posts2,841
Member Since1 Aug 2010
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given10
Likes Received2,959/1,511

#11 by valerie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 22:51

I don't think there is much of any coupon fraud in the states.

Many of the coupons are directed to specific stores.

They all have bar codes on them specific to the item and also can be specific to the store.

An example is coupons that can be used at Walmart only.

Today, most people in the states, simply print out the coupons from the computer.

I go to the super walmart approximately every 3 to 4 weeks to buy my main supply of
groceries. Before I go, I always look at the coupon pages on the walmart website. I
was going to buy a package of Imes cat food for my cat and there was a $2 coupon.
Saved $2. Not a big deal but an item I was buying any way. Some times there will be
a new product for which they have a coupon...and I think that is a very good way to
try a new product.

I'm not a couponeer. However, I usually do have a few coupons I can use each grocery
trip I make. As a norm, I save about $10 to $25 per trip.
valerie
Posts16,970
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given3,263
Likes Received16,072/6,115

#12 by hyldig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 00:08

Well Valerie I must admit that computers have made fraud of this kind harder . He he . It was before the computers took over everything in the stores here they tried coupons . We had Trippers , several cars tripping between stores and cities using these 1 time peer person coupons in many different stores of the same company . If it was non eatable goods they even went into other stores to get a refund . They claimed the old story of The dog ate the bill and often succeded in getting a refund . That was main reason Coupons was removed shortly after they were instated . :D
hyldig
Posts871
Member Since8 Sep 2013
Last Visit8 Jul 2017
Likes Given63
Likes Received444/306

#13 by proadco » Thu Jul 23, 2015 14:16

Wreck less Spenders Never Save
Program Jumpers Never Earns

Couponing is Big Business for Smart Shoppers
proadco
Posts3,234
Member Since25 Feb 2007
Last Visit6 Sep 2019
Likes Given1,993
Likes Received1,687/1,116

#14 by Nikorj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 16:02

Can't argue with that.

Use your brain,Shop smart.Invest your money wisely.

And never take a loan if you can avoid it.
Nikorj
Posts1,478
Member Since27 Apr 2014
Last VisitYesterday
Likes Given1,164
Likes Received1,269/796
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are EST - Server Time: Sep 17, 2019 01:21:05 EST